Dynamix - V6 Plugins

Hey there,

I have som issues with the Auto Fan Plugin. I can not find any PWM Controllers. Drop down only says "none". System Temp Plugin works fine. Anyone has an idea how to fix the Fan error?

I do use PWM Fans all attached directly to the mainboard.

M/B:ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H370-A Version Rev 1.xx -

BIOS:American Megatrends Inc. Version 1901. Dated: 02/20/2020

CPU:Intel® Core™ i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Best regards :)

On 6/25/2023 at 5:08 PM, stephack said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I added all my disks to the "monitor disks outside of the array" list and it seems to have fixed my sleep issue. Strange that we suddenly now have to include the disks independently of the array...but it's a simple enough fix I guess.

@bonienl

This is the same issue that happened with the 6.10 -> 6.11 Transition. the s3_script command to find the array disks doesn't match the disks.ini file. Could you make the -PB cmd line argument more future proof as more lines are added to disks.ini?

From my previous post about the fix for 6.11 (modified to add more before lines in the grep command)

Found this after I made the same fix:

root@Tower:/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.s3.sleep/scripts# diff s3_sleep s3_sleep.orig

41d40

< # Change -PB13 to -PB20 for new .ini file format

51c50

<   flash=($(grep -PB20 '^type="Flash' $ini|grep -Po '^device="\K[^"]+'))

---

>   flash=($(grep -PB13 '^type="Flash' $ini|grep -Po '^device="\K[^"]+'))

56c55

<   cache=($(grep -PB20 '^type="Cache' $ini|grep -Po '^device="\K[^"]+'))

---

>   cache=($(grep -PB13 '^type="Cache' $ini|grep -Po '^device="\K[^"]+'))

61c60

<   array=($(grep -PB20 '^type="(Parity|Data)' $ini|grep -Po '^device="\K[^"]+'))

---

>   array=($(grep -PB13 '^type="(Parity|Data)' $ini|grep -Po '^device="\K[^"]+'))

I've been using the auto fan plugin for a while now and just set my drives to spin down, with all the main array drives spun down, except the cache drive, auto fan turns off the fans:

"autofan: Highest disk temp is 0C, adjusting fan speed from: FULL (100% @ 1976rpm) to: OFF (0% @ 738rpm)"

But the cache drive starts to get really hot, over 40degC, it is included in the auto fan plugin drives list but it seems like the cache temperature is ignored when the main mechanical drives are spun down.  Any ideas?

Update:  With (1) drive spun up auto fan detects it's temperature but still ignores the cache drive:

image.png.771cfc5ce7b7418a045e9cee773f5e59.png

autofan: Highest disk temp is 32C, adjusting fan speed from: FULL (100% @ 1567rpm) to: OFF (0% @ 597rpm)

Edited by MTerracciano
Updated with more information

@bonienl   how can i run say  PWM4  as a command line..  i noticed either fan speed plugin has a bug or 6.11.5 12.x  has a bug in it

if i set pwm4 fan speeds to turn off  at certain temperature.. It works.. but as soon as i reboot...  it keeps the fans running...  at low speed it doesnt turn them off.. i have to  uncheck and check  the exclude nvme   and click Apply  to get it to shut off the Fans... 

how can i run  the Pwm4  (Apply)  force it in the Go file  so in the go file it will force the   apply setting of Pwm4  so it will force the fans to turn off like they supposed to...  as i only have 2 array diskes and 1 nvme drive   on my backup server.. it all worked in past on 6.9

I have a minimum set but that doesn't solve the underlying issue that the cache drive temperature isn't being monitored by the plugin even though it's listed as a drive that can be "excluded"

If you have a min set then the fans will not turn off, if they turn off the you min is too low for the fans.

Works fine here with a nvme cache drive

you guys dont happen to know how i can run say pwm4  the apply option from the command line do ya?  i looked into the emhttp folder and looked at some of the code but i dont even know how to run it from the command line  to force the fans to stop on reboot.. since it not reading the plugin in and say if its below 35 degrees not to run..  as i exclude my nvme drive...  so each time i reboot  or boot up  i gotta adjust the pwm4  then reset back  and then press apply just to get the fans to stop

Just now, comet424 said:

so each time i reboot  or boot up  i gotta adjust the pwm4  then reset back  and then press apply just to get the fans to stop

may just read a little upper in the Thread, its may just the autostart function which is not properly working and i posted a cmd howto

@alturismo  oh lol .. well least you figured it out or i be still hitting the apply..  since no one in general chat replied which they probably dont know  or too soon for a reply lol...  as i wasnt sure to ask help in here or there...    

least my main server isnt running fans at 5000 rpms now they off or at 1000 lol

Hello,

I'm having trouble understanding the Auto Fan Setup and was hoping somebody can clarify.

The setup menu shows me three PWM controler.

grafik.png.b492bbc864302c01e0667b225e103e6e.png

Are these my fans header on the mainboard that were detected by the plugin?

But when I switch between the three entries, the path to the PWM fan stays exactly the same for each contoller.

/sys/devices/platform/nct6775.656/hwmon/hwmon3/fan1_input

The hwmon3 directory contains other fan*_input files though.

8 hours ago, bobalot said:

I have an issue with the sleep function. 

I disabled the S3 sleep function. 

But now my server seems to randomly go into standby / sleep mode. 

Not sure what is going here. 

Have you actually gone as far as uninstalling the plugin?

On 7/16/2023 at 12:20 PM, pille said:

I have som issues with the Auto Fan Plugin. I can not find any PWM Controllers. Drop down only says "none". System Temp Plugin works fine. Anyone has an idea how to fix the Fan error?

I do use PWM Fans all attached directly to the mainboard.

Did you get a response or a solution to this?
Having the same problem,, have not tried the temp-plugin, but I'm using glances+hddtemp to show HD-temps in HA - could that be an issue?

Two pwm-fans directly to new motherboard; Gibabyte Z690

I have a dell "0NK70N" mobo.  Using Autofan floods my system logs with pointless info like "...autofan: Highest disk temp is 32C, adjusting fan speed from: 128 (50% @ 888rpm) to: 196 (76% @ 4967rpm)" every few mins (or every few seconds if the server is putting in work).   The movie quote, "frankly my dear, i don't give a dam" comes to mind.  

Its useless (my dashboard tells me fan speeds, if im curious), and bury's important information that i might want to see in the logs, from earlier in the day.

HOW DO I SHUT THIS UP???  I don't need to know what the plugin is doing every time it changes fan speeds!  I not sure why it even does this by default!  Please tell me someone has a way to fix this?!?!?!

---

A separate question:  Autofan only sees 3 out of the 8 fans/headers (incl CPU fans).  Additionally, one of the 3 fans that it does see, it doesn't seem to be able to control at all! 
For now, ive resorted to using a powered fan splitter and jerry rigged jumpers (yay dell non-standard fan headers...companies should be sued for this kinda nonsense; but i digress) to one of the headers that is controlled by autofan, and force most of the fans to run on that sensor bank...but its not ideal.  

---

Lastly: is there a way to make Autofan control fans based on CPU/MOBO/Video/etc temps, instead of just HDD's?  This might not be possible without a full re-work, but thought i would ask!

+++

Normally my Google-fu hits hard, but i can't seem to knock this one out!  So I gave up, and am asking ya'll!  

Edited by miicar
5 hours ago, miicar said:

I don't need to know what the plugin is doing every time it changes fan speeds!  I not sure why it even does this by default!  Please tell me someone has a way to fix this?!?!?!

there is nothing to "fix" as its by design ... if you dont want to see those syslog messages ... and if you would have searched ... you would have found as sample the "enhanced syslog setting" plugin ... where  you can filter events to not show ...

image.png.dae1fefa9d6956daae4e5f46d60adf7e.png

5 hours ago, miicar said:

Lastly: is there a way to make Autofan control fans based on CPU/MOBO/Video/etc temps, instead of just HDD's?  This might not be possible without a full re-work, but thought i would ask!

same here, asked already many times in this thread ... lets make it short, no ... only hdd temps are used as base by design, not wanted ... for CPU fans, this should be done in your BIOS and set your curve there.

also imagine how many log entries there would be if your CPU is controlled ... ;)

• Confused 1