Dynamix - V6 Plugins

How do i stop this plugin from pointlessly logging every time it changes fan speed.  it floods the system log with pointless information...it should have either a tiered log setting, or log on/off, like every other program does!  Flooding my logs with "temperature moved a bit...changing the fan speed 20%" is pointless, as its working as expected.  

(and no, i shouldn't have to have 4 different log filter plugins running alongside this one, to silence pointless information)

How do i stop this plugin from pointlessly logging every time it changes fan speed.  it floods the system log with pointless information...it should have either a tiered log setting, or log on/off, like every other program does!  Flooding my logs with "temperature moved a bit...changing the fan speed 20%" is pointless, as its working as expected.  

(and no, i shouldn't have to have 4 different log filter plugins running alongside this one, to silence pointless information)

It logs by design for diagnostic purposes, unless you look at your log all the time, why does it matter?
If it bothers you that much you can always fork the plugin repo and comment out the logging and install your own fork.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 8/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, spl147 said:

It logs by design for diagnostic purposes, unless you look at your log all the time, why does it matter?
If it bothers you that much you can always fork the plugin repo and comment out the logging and install your own fork.

cuz i look at my log all the time, and that's stupid that it has diag turned on by default....if anything else worked for dum-Dells fan controller i would use that....MY QUESTION STILL STANDS

Edited by miicar
1 hour ago, miicar said:

if anything else worked for dum-Dells fan controller i would use that....MY QUESTION STILL STANDS

you have several options and may consider, there is no need to write UPPER CASE and demand something ...

btw, its a free addon written by someone and offered for free, so take it or leave it as is but please stop demanding ...

1/ leave it ...

2/ use the syslog filter as mentioned before

3/ fork it and rewrite it and use your forked version

4/ may look at the plugin code, edit it and look if thats what you want (like comment the echo lines)

line 284 / 285 in the script ... may comment them if you want to ...

root@AlsServer:~# cat /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.autofan/scripts/autofan | grep -i "Highest Disk Temp"
    echo "$program_name: Highest disk temp is ${REPORTED_TEMP}${TEMP_UNIT}, adjusting fan speed from: $CURRENT_OUTPUT to: $ADJUSTED_OUTPUT"
    echo "Highest disk temp is ${REPORTED_TEMP}${TEMP_UNIT}, adjusting fan speed from: $CURRENT_OUTPUT to: $ADJUSTED_OUTPUT" | logger -t$program_name
root@AlsServer:~#

beware, needs a boot script which will redo this then on every reboot ... and may breaks on an update on this script.

all this by your own responsibility .... and stop yelling around about a feature ... if you dont like it, leave it and its up to the developer to keep it hardcoded or not, again, you dont like it, write something yourself.

specially if other users are just trying to explain or help ... really not a good attitude ...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
On 8/9/2023 at 12:36 PM, Marc_G2 said:

I've had same problem with it going to sleep as well.   Did you confirm it to only be a problem when the parity check is running?

Sorry for the late reply, I was away.

No it's basically broken, it causes the array to go to sleep even before the disk delay kicks in.

I had to exclude some hours to make sure it wouldn't sleep the array during the day, while still putting it to sleep at 1am in case I forgot.

Please could you provide some info on your Mobo?

Any chance to hear from the devs? Is this a known issue and are you working on this?

Sleep used to work fine on both of my servers until some recent update, it would be great if that functionality could be brought back. 

Thanks!

On 8/17/2023 at 9:58 AM, VK28.01 said:

Same here with:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B460M-A , Version Rev 1.xx
American Megatrends Inc., Version 1605

Intel® Core™ i3-10105 CPU @ 3.70GHz

Sensor-Detect:

Intel digital thermal sensor...                             Success!
(driver `coretemp')

Found `Nuvoton NCT6798D Super IO Sensors'                   Success!
(address 0x290, driver `nct6775')

Processor&Mainboard Sonsors are working like a charm...Fan array Sensor is displayed "none" within the System-Temp-Plugin. Consequently the Auto-Fan-Plugin does not work either. 

same here - got my temp sensors working after sensors-detect but nothing in the fan app. Detect is greyed out.
root@Tower500:~# sensors-detect
# sensors-detect version 3.6.0
# Board: ASRock B550M Pro4
# Kernel: 6.1.49-Unraid x86_64
# Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics (23/24/1)..

image.thumb.png.aed8edddd35dd42fe2c43b5f3f918f5d.png

Testing the S3 Sleep plugin - I setup a user script to wake it my backup unraid server (new) , do an rsync to it, and then let it sleep again according to the settings on the plugin.

For some strange reason, it was sleeping too early.  i saw a thread that maybe the array disks were not being read correctly, so I added all the array disks manually to monitor as per that thread.

Then I thought I would test it out as I noticed some abnormal sleeping going in.

I have the settings set like this :

image.png.d06a2d2b0222a06dd701e134eeaedb02.png

I started the emby container and simulated a failed main server - so wife has moved to the backup emby server (for when I am travelling).  The disks all spun down except the one that was streaming the media, I was playing a movie, came back to it later, and movie frooze, unraid backup had gone to sleep.....  Its like it is ignoring the active disk ?  This is with 6.12.4 os also.

• Like 1

Sleep plugin works... My personal set up is:

• Set to shutdown (to avoid the cpu bug)
  • Set excluded hours (6am - 11pm)
  • Array activity = yes
  • Status & counters
  • Monitor all array disks & other caches like 4 disk ZFS pools (I choose to ignore the main nvme cache as this is ALWAYS active)
  • Network activity = high (to avoid shutdown during plex or other network transfer)
  • User inactive = yes (to avoid shutdown when I am fiddling)
5 minutes ago, dopeytree said:

Sleep plugin works... My personal set up is:

• Set to shutdown (to avoid the cpu bug)
  • Set excluded hours (6am - 11pm)
  • Array activity = yes
  • Status & counters
  • Monitor all array disks & other caches like 4 disk ZFS pools (I choose to ignore the main nvme cache as this is ALWAYS active)
  • Network activity = high (to avoid shutdown during plex or other network transfer)
  • User inactive = yes (to avoid shutdown when I am fiddling)

You've confirmed disk activity detection specifically still works?  Then I guess it still works some folks on version 6.12.X.

So far there's about 5 people in this thread who's found it to be broken.

• Like 1

I just proved it def does not work monitoring disks again.

I have set 15 minutes now for disk spin down delat in disk settings and the sleep plugin settings also.

Wake it up, spin all disks down, start a movie from emby, see one disk active, it then goes to sleep (according to the logs about 40 minutes later).   If I get time, I may do this a bit more scientifically later.

55 minutes ago, dopeytree said:

What I mean is you can use 'monitor network traffic' settings to get around most problems.

OK - trying that now - same tests :

set to high setting (500bps) 

spun down all disks (if that matters)

started the movie 12:08.

Checked back at 12:30 - still playing move - OK

Checked back at 13:00 - still playing

Checked back at 13:30 - still playing

Movie ended at 13:50 - at the end of the credits - unraid went to sleep.

Its not very forgiving there - should have some sort of time delay or something ?

No time to even select something else to watch!

Hey all, I have Unraid 6.12.4 running on my Lenovo P620 workstation, with the latest version of the Dynamix plugins installed. Specifically, I have version 2023.02.05a of the Dynamix System Autofan plugin. This doesn't detect the fans on the system, and I would like to see if there is a way to get it to control the fans. So, there are two options:

- Is there a way to detect and control the system fans? SystemTemp detects multiple temperature sensors, but AutoFan does not find a fan controller. I can't find any installed fan controller drivers. Happy to send logs, etc if that is helpful to figure this out. 

- If the plugin can't detect whatever fan control is built into the motherboard, are any third party fan controllers supported by the AutoFan plugin? Products like the Corsair iCue Controller. I would be fine putting in a controller and rewiring the fans to run from that. 

Does anyone know if the Dynamix plugins (especially sleep) are still under active development?

Not expecting or demanding anything, but it's a bit weird not to get a reply or bug aknowledgement from the dev when quite a few users report the same issues.

I have network activity on medium to detect even lower traffic than high, detection of all the disks (including those in the array as array activity is definitely not detected) and user activity on local, but there are still many sleeps happening that shouldn't be. This wasn't the case before.

Using power off isn't an option if your MB doesn't support WOL from power off (which is the case for my two UnRAID servers with an Asus MB). Not sure what the CPU bug is when using sleep vs power off?

Excluding hours limits the likelyhood of an unwanted sleep, but it keeps the system up for hours unnecessary, so it's a (costly) workaround, not a fix.

I hope this will get fixed, either at OS level or at plugin level, I love the dynamix plugins and since I've set them up a few years ago (I use most of them) I barely had any issues. It would be a shame if development had halted.

Edited by Manni01
  • Upvote 1

If you don't use a UPS...

A work around could be shutting down at a set time via a script. Say 11.30PM.

Then at 5PM the next day using a remote plug to cycle the power off & back on. This should then boot up. You'd need to set your motherboard to revert to last state when power is disconnected. 

This wouldn't cause any parity error as the server would already be off. You'd effectively be turning it on manually but automated remotely if that makes any sense. Won't work if you use a UPS.

Edited by dopeytree

Any Linux experts here?  I suspect the problem with the Sleep plugin's disk activity checker is with this function.  If so, it may be an easy fix to just modify the plugin file and then repackage it as a txz.   

HDD_activity() {
  result=
  if [[ $checkHDD == yes ]]; then
    [[ -f /dev/shm/2 ]] && cp -f /dev/shm/2 /dev/shm/1 || touch /dev/shm/1
    awk '/(sd[a-z]*|nvme[0-9]n1) /{print $3,$6+$10}' /proc/diskstats >/dev/shm/2
    for dev in ${array[@]}; do
      [[ $monitor -ne 2 ]] && active=$(sdspin /dev/$dev) || active=
      [[ $monitor -ne 1 ]] && diskio=($(grep -Pho "^$dev \K\d+" /dev/shm/1 /dev/shm/2)) || diskio=
      if [[ -n $active || ${diskio[0]} != ${diskio[1]} ]]; then
        result=1
        break;
      fi
    done
  fi
  if [[ -n $result ]]; then
    log "Disk activity on going: $dev"
    echo $result
  fi
}

22 minutes ago, methanoid said:

To do this.. what do we set the SysFan to in the BIOS?  Manual and 100% or Manual and Off or what? 

either you use your BIOS Fan Curve ... OR ... you use fan speed control here ...

so, if you dont use fan speed control here, your BIOS curve will follow its rules ... or you override your BIOS with this application (plugin). sample, your CPU Fan should only be setted in the BIOS as CPU Temp is no function of this plugin, on your array fans you CAN use it or you leave it ...

sample usage in my usecase, my HDD disks are in chamber nr. 2, i buildin 4 fans there (2x in, 2x out) and i wanted them to stop while my HDD's are in spindown ... no fan cooling necessarry in my case there.

sample as of now (array disks are in spindown and fans are off, controlled by autofan ...)

image.thumb.png.291f3499151de256dca1820618424020.png

while all other fans here are not controlled by autofan as they have no reference to the HDD Temps ...

so in the end, its your choice ... just read what it does, think about it what you want and setup the way you want ...

I got a question about folder caching and remote shares

I noticed a lot network activity between my two unraid servers. Seems my "slave" that has a mount to root_share on my "master".

I could I first not see what or why - then I checked the "master" and showed the more or less the same. When I did an lsof of mount on the slave I showed a folders on remote iterating through the entire directory tree on the master. I checked if I could exclude shares but only local shares can be excluded.

Would be very nice if there was an option to exclude files on remote shares. 

image.png.88ff210b31ff81dbc5315e3c8f8da8e0.png

image.png.c8761785b5ccd094c2d8c19cb549248b.png