Unraid OS version 6.12.3 available

1 hour ago, ljm42 said:

This is not related to the recent bug fix. Most likely, you had a SSH or a web terminal open and cd'd to the cache drive, like this:

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/appdata# 

Hmmmm, Damn.

1 hour ago, ljm42 said:

If desired, you can install the Tips and Tweaks plugin, by default it will automatically kill any ssh or bash process when you stop the array.

it is and now have added Processes to kill before Array is Stopped: ssh,bash

My error and not a bug, this is a good thing .

Thanks ljm42!

• Like 1

I just updated my admittedly rather simple media server. The only thing out of the ordinary was having to run the command in the first post to stop the array, but stop it did. The system came up without starting a parity check and I'm back in business.

Thank you team!

• Like 1

I see people having docker issues, for what it is worth, I had it on both of my systems every day on any 6.12 release with macvlan.

I moved all dockers to br1 on a second nic and there's been zero crashes in a week or so now.  I think that fixed it.   I'd use IPVLAN but my ATT gateway is weird with port forwarding based on MACs rather than IPs and everything breaks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ryanakata said:

I see people having docker issues, for what it is worth, I had it on both of my systems every day on any 6.12 release with macvlan.

I moved all dockers to br1 on a second nic and there's been zero crashes in a week or so now.  I think that fixed it.   I'd use IPVLAN but my ATT gateway is weird with port forwarding based on MACs rather than IPs and everything breaks.

Good to know. Have to give that setup a try aswell, once i get my hands on another long ethernet cable.

I read that the auto-generated limit to the ZFS ARC to 1/8 of installed memory will be GUI adjustable in future versions. Can LT say anything about when that is likely to happened?

If anyone have a how-to (for a "CLI crippled") create a custom 'config/modprobe.d/zfs.conf' file to change the ZFS ARC limit, it would be great.

53 minutes ago, frodr said:

If anyone have a how-to (for a "CLI crippled") create a custom 'config/modprobe.d/zfs.conf' file to change the ZFS ARC limit, it would be great.

1. Create the modprobe.d directory on your USB Boot device to make changes persistent:
    mkdir -p /boot/config/modprobe.d

2. Create the file zfs.conf in the above created directory and fill it with the text "options zfs zfs_arc_max=8589934592" <- this will imit the ARC cache to 8GB (you have to specify the size in bytes)
    echo "options zfs zfs_arc_max=8589934592" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/zfs.conf

3. After that reboot and the ARC size should be changed to the value that you've specified
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I updated from 6.12.2 to 6.12.3 and ZeroTier stopped working again.  I had used this https://discuss.zerotier.com/t/cant-see-unraid-server-with-windows-machines/14035

to get it working on 6.12.2

Any suggestions to get it going on 6.12.3?

Edit: I should say that the container is working in that I can ping it though ZeroTier but not able to get the GUI (web UI) to load.

Edited by Asus750

I’m getting a little frustrated with the company and community conversation regarding the macvlan issues.

I see so many posts where users are taken through the same set of questions as others, post your logs, switch to ipvlan (when things don’t work for the user as they did with macvlan), why do you need this, try that etc etc. 

This seems like a waste of time and or a diversionary tactic as either the outcome ends up being the same or the answers from those providing advice imply they know the issue. Therefore why keep repeating.  

I run docker containers, all through a dedicated interface seperate to the main unraid interface, many with their own ip address on various vlans on my network. I have all unifi networking equipment except pfsense as my edge device. Host access to guest networks enabled. I get hit by kernel panics very regularly. Switching to ipvlan does not deliver the same outcome as macvlan in my case so is therefore not the answer. 

I’d really like a comprehensive explanation as to what can be expected to be achieved and what can not with either macvlan and or ipvlan. An honest warts and all answer would be nice as I can see my use case (which is my own) is not unique. 

My ask: Create a honest comprehensive post containing the issue and current explanation, what can be expected to be achieved from each option and don’t leave anything you know (ie even that which relates to why you might consider the “edge” use cases) out, even add what you “think” might be happening or the answer and then make the post a sticky. When a support request gets asked that fits the issue, link to it. Let people discuss it in that thread. Provide updates on progress of a fix or accept limitations of the product. Please. 

Edited by danioj
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9
16 minutes ago, david279 said:

So it doesn't eat all a casual users ram without them understanding why. 

Well, that makes sense and was the reason I thought too. Some say it's because if arc uses too much ram and it overflows, things will crash, but I thought it has more to do with the casual unraid user may not have a ton of ram.

I seem to have upgraded from 6.12.2 to 6.12.3 without incident.  I had been out of town and did not want to apply the update remotely as both previous version (6.12.1 and 6.12) crashed my machine on the first reboot after update, and had to be hard reset.  This update is so far painless and rebooted without problems.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:17 PM, Pete0 said:

I only didn't see it right away because of the new notification thing in the Web GUI.

Yeah, the new notification makeover is taking some getting used to. For instance, you can't check the notification or see the notification after upgrading to 16.12.3 because the "Update Unraid OS" window's button doesn't change from "Done" to "Finished" and it doesn't allow the notifications to shine through.

If you don't think to open a new tab and check the GUI, you'd be waiting until the cows came home. 🐄

I've just updated to 6.12.3 (from 6.9.2) and now cannot use the Terminal on my (fairly old) Chromebook. It seems ok on a new Chromebook. Is there a setting I can change to continue to use Terminal on my old Chromebook? It is still running as if it were new but since it's stopped getting updates I'm losing access to many modern websites, so I only really use it to access my Unraid Towers. It was fine with 6.9.2 so I think it's the TTYD terminal that's causing my problem.

Thanks

41 minutes ago, figrin_dan said:

It was fine with 6.9.2 so I think it's the TTYD terminal that's causing my problem.

This may help, but would need to be done after every boot:

• edit /etc/default/ttyd
  • delete the '-t rendererType=canvas' option
  • pkill ttyd ← this will also kill your open terminal window
  • open new terminal window

• Like 1
On 8/4/2023 at 5:13 PM, JorgeB said:

This may help, but would need to be done after every boot:

• edit /etc/default/ttyd
  • delete the '-t rendererType=canvas' option
  • pkill ttyd ← this will also kill your open terminal window
  • open new terminal window

I removed that line and now I can open the log window without Chrome freezing the Unraid tab and showing blank log window. Logs show as they should so I would like to make this change more permanent. Related? 

Edit: Oops, talking about Chrome for Android. The tab with Unraid open freezed as soon as I tried to open the log. Log window opens but no text. This change fixes it.

Edited by Niklas

I've noticed that in the 6.12.2 & 6.12.3 update — Terminal and Log no longer launch from the GUI while using Safari.

• Content blockers is off for the GUI
  • I don't have any extensions that would interfere. Or at least they haven't in the past.
  • Testing in private browser mode — you are immediately logged out when you try to launch Terminal.

**Update**

• Issue is not present when logging in via IP address, but is present when logging in via local domain name.
  • Using the local domain name wasn't an issue before. 
Edited by Zer0Nin3r
23 hours ago, Zer0Nin3r said:

I've noticed that in the 6.12.2 & 6.12.3 update — Terminal and Log no longer launch from the GUI while using Safari.

• I don't have any extensions that would interfere. Or at least they haven't in the past.
  • Testing in private browser mode — you are immediately logged out when you try to launch Terminal.

**Update**

• Issue is not present when logging in via IP address, but is present when logging in via local domain name.

works fine for me either way on both machines I have running 6.12.3. For reference, I'm on safari Version 16.5.1 (18615.2.9.11.7)

On 8/7/2023 at 8:46 AM, Zer0Nin3r said:

**Update**

sounds like a browser cache issue, try clearing it out.